Monday, May 21, 2012

Graduation - Week 6

So in one day I graduate high school and my beautiful girl graduated a couple nights ago. Where did time go? 


So I am coming to a part in the book of my life that I turn the page and start writing another one. While hearing and participating in so many graduation activities in the past week, I have came to a few conclusions. Graduation seems like a time that you worked towards for years on end, awaiting for that moment to be recognized for all the hard work you have done. But as you know me, I asked myself this question. "Is there such a thing as a music graduation?"

It is sort of an interesting concept. As musicians we pour our heart out into music. We spend hundreds upon thousands of hours sharpening our skills, performing and helping others just like in school. But as a musician do we ever come to a part in our musical careers that we feel like we have "graduated?" Honestly, I think the answer is no. I feel like no matter how hard you work, there is always more work to be done. Sounds lame doesn't it? Neil Peart, who is considered one of the greatest drummers of all time felt this. He had been playing drums for his band Rush for many years, helped write iconic songs and became known as one of the greats in the process due to his outstanding drumming. Even though he was at this extremely high level of musicianship, he still tried to get better by finding his old drum teacher and completely relearning his wrist technique to make himself better.

Just as Neil Peart did, you can too. Even when you think you are where you need to be musically, you can ALWAYS improve. I don't feel like once you learn and master one thing, some man comes up to you, gives you a diploma and says "Good job you are a musician now!" You can always improve and to me that is another beauty of music.



Until next week, stay loud and proud.





Music recommendations for this week.
It's an early jazz kind of week!

Duke Ellington - It Don't Mean A Thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDQpZT3GhDg
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Summertime
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIDOEsQL7lA
Miles Davis - So What



No comments:

Post a Comment